My Life

My Life

Thursday, October 6, 2011

I am a sap

Every single month a lovely present from Mother Nature arrives for me. Only ladies get this piece of shit present.

Men are lucky bastards. I am sure you all know what I am referring to. When I am experiencing this "week of hell" I turn into a very emotional person. I am already a freak of nature when it comes to emotions. I really do wear them on my sleeve. So last night I was driving to get my Gabriel 1/2 sleeve finished. The tattoo shop is about 45 minutes from my work. As I was driving there I was listening to my favorite country station and Kenny Chesney "The Good Stuff" came on. I started singing along and started crying! I was driving and singing and crying.  Here are the lyrics:

Well, me an' my lady had our first big fight,
So I drove around 'til I saw the neon light.
A corner bar, an it just seemed right.
So I pulled up.

Not a soul around but the old bar keep,
Down at the end an' looking half asleep.
He walked up, an' said : "What'll it be?"
I said: "The good stuff."

He didn't reach around for the whiskey;
He didn't pour me a beer.
His blue eyes kinda went misty,
He said: "You can't find that here.

"'Cos it's the first long kiss on a second date.
"Momma's all worried when you get home late.
"And droppin' the ring in the spaghetti plate,
"'Cos your hands are shakin' so much.
"An' it's the way that she looks with the rice in her hair.
"Eatin' burnt suppers the whole first year
"An' askin' for seconds to keep her from tearin' up.
"Yeah, man, that's the good stuff."

He grabbed a carton of milk an' he poured a glass.
I smiled an' said: "I'll have some of that."
We sat there an' talked as an hour passed,
Like old friends.

I saw a black an' white picture an' it caught my stare,
It was a pretty girl with bouffant hair.
He said: "That's my Bonnie,
"Taken 'bout a year after we were wed."

He said "Spent five years in the bottle,
"When the cancer took her from me.
"But I've been sober three years now,
"'Cos the one thing stronger than the whiskey:

"Was the sight of her holdin' my baby girl.
"The way she adored that string of pearls,
"I gave her the day that our youngest boy, Earl,
"Married his high school love."
"An' it's a new tee-shirt saying: 'I'm a Grandpa'.
"Bein' right there as our time got small,
"An' holdin' her hand, when the Good Lord called her up,
"Yeah, man, that's the good stuff."

He said: "When you get home, she'll start to cry.
"When she says: 'I'm sorry,' say: 'So am I.'
"An' look into those eyes, so deep in love,
"An' drink it up.
"'Cos that's the good stuff.
"That's the good stuff.

I am tearing up just reading it over again right now. This song just means a lot to me. Life is so short. You need to take every day and treat it like it is your last. Tell your family and friends how much you love them and treat them that way too. Choose your battles and try to let things go. You can't harbor negative feelings or let something stupid ruin a great friendship or relationship.

I know what it is like to lose someone. I know what it is like to lose the one person that you love more than anything in the entire world. To lose someone that you live and breath for even after they are gone. And even though I spent every minute of Gabe's life treasuring him and the time I spent with him...it was not enough. I would give anything to have just 1 more day with him. 1 more minute.

I just wanted to share with people how fragile and short life is. Being with your family and friends is the "good stuff".








2 comments:

  1. What a dear, heartfelt post. I've never heard that song but the lyrics ring so true. I'm sorry for your sadness you express too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny. I love that song. It doesn't matter how many times I hear it, it always makes me tear up. It really says it all. Family and friends should be the most important things in your life.

    ReplyDelete